Everyone at Strange Angels has tried online dating at one point or another. Some of us tried the big sites, some of us tried the small ones, and some of us tried all of them. We discovered they all had one thing in common—they treated your search for a companion as if it were a search for a new pair of sneakers.
Something about this just seemed wrong.
We believe that building a relationship is a creative process. It’s like writing a novel, acting in a play, or learning a new song. It takes effort, and it also requires feedback and collaboration.
We understand that each individual has his or her own unique set of challenges and obstacles that must be appreciated and understood. There is no one solution that can be applied to all people.
And we feel that people should not look for love the same way they shop for shoes.
So we created Strange Angels.
We intend to build a community dedicated to helping each other find companions; to create a forum to tell our stories and to have open and honest discussions about dating, relationships, gender, and sexuality; to host live events designed to bring people together, and foster new understandings of themselves and each other. We understand that to really help people, we have to really help people. The technology isn’t going to do it for us. That’s why, behind the scenes, we’re not just sitting here coding HTML. We’re out there meeting new people, making new connections, bringing in new talent, and finding people committed to helping you.
What makes Strange Angels different:
- We allow anyone to serve as a volunteer Matchmaker. A Matchmaker could be a dating coach, a counselor, your best friend, or just someone who wants to help.
- We offer the Strange Angels blog, providing thoughts, analysis, advice, and writing from some of the best talent in the country.
- We offer an ad-free environment. Unlike other dating sites, we will never use you as a product to sell to advertisers.
- We host off-line events. A website isn’t enough, so we host live events designed to bring people together.
- We’re not just selling hotdogs here. We are invested in maximizing your opportunities to make a meaningful connection, which is why we are working hard to build an open-minded, supportive community.
Strange Angels launched in April, 2012, and is just getting started. We hope that you will join us, and help us build a dating site that is committed to helping people help each other.